Message from the Secretary
Welcome to the Arkansas Department of Corrections! The Department is comprised of over 6,000 dedicated employees within the following:
• The Division of Correction (formerly the Arkansas Department of Correction);
• The Division of Community Correction (formerly Arkansas Department of Community Correction);
• The Corrections School System (Arkansas Correctional School District and Riverside Vocational
• The Office of the Criminal Detention Facility Review Coordinator; along with the
• Administrative functions of the Criminal Detention Facility Review Committees;
• Administrative functions of the Parole Board;
• Administrative functions of the Sentencing Commission; and
• Administrative functions of the State Council for the Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision.
We have so many staff that are knowledgeable and talented working and serving our state! They are doing this work because they believe in public safety! Our shared goal is to continue to have a service-minded culture, and by working as one Department, to strengthen our ability to be a science-driven/data-driven team dedicated to continuous improvement. We are in the people business which makes this work difficult and, at times, unpredictable!
To the best of our ability, we prepare those in our custody and under our supervision to be productive and law-abiding citizens. That starts by setting a professional example every day and remaining fair, firm, and consistent in following our policies. Our policies are based on national standards and implemented with safety and security in mind. Being data-driven in our decision making, policies, and practices will improve the success of our mission.
Thank you for visiting the Correction Division’s website. I am honored to be their Secretary!